Notes on my new site

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A happy, rainy, dreary, sticky Halloween

If I could sum up Halloween in one word, I'd say - sticky. Or at least the post trick-or-treating part.

This year was our first trick-or-treating experience as a family and it almost didn't happen. The weather was rainy all day and plans were being changed continually. 

Due to lack of coffee supplies, I finally got us all out the door and into the van at 4pm. Destination, New Starbucks drive-thru. I suited the kids up in costume just in case we drove past an awesome house and I felt comfortable enough to run them up to the front door. 

Coffee mission complete and our fist candy of the night in hand from the barista, I took a right down Glenlake. I was hoping the Lickety Split custard shop might have an indoor party for rained out trick-or-treaters. Nope. Instead I saw a few bundles of parents with umbrellas shuffling their kids door to door. We parked and fell in step with two middle school girls, fearlessly ringing every door. Got LOTS of candy!

Even though it was dreary and damp, Glenlake was ready for their trick or treaters. Some sat on their front porches with buckets in hand and even one mom manned a tented station next to the sidewalk with her baby. I asked an older couple how many kids they normally get each year and they said '500'. I think they'll get 502 from now on because David and Judah will definitely be among the regulars.

We stopped by the Driscolls where David was ready to call it a night and play with all their Halloween decorations. Then headed home to have post trick-or-treating pizza with David's buddy Jana and family. They reported excellent trick-or-treat options on our street. 

Trick-or-treating turned out to be an activity that rain could not ruin. David went from timidly repeating the appropriate words after me to singing 'Thank You!' as he rushed on to the next house. I kind of wish there we're other times to mingle in this way with our neighbors. It was so fun.

1 comments:

EMLC said...

Sounds like fun! The street behind where Jon & Emily live was SUPER packed on Halloween! I had never seen anything like it. Apparently they bus people in :) We are there next year! :)

PS. J-bugs is SO cute!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...