Notes on my new site

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Do you have your flour bucket yet?

Photography from Storybook Woods, a blog I've not read until borrowing this beautiful picture from.

Over Easter weekend I spent time with my dear friend Meghan and her inspiring family. In their kitchen, next to the stove and in a cabinet all to itself is a bucket of all purpose baking flour. Megan's mom is home economics teacher at our local high-school and she parents a family of bakers. At anytime that I've been to their home, something is either being mixed, baked or shared. Ha, that could be a family blog post all in itself!

Meghan and I have been friends since 1995 and we refer to one another as 'kindred spirits'. That term we tossed between one another in notes to one another during class, and then correspondence journals all through middle school and high school. I think this label for our friendship was prophetic in a sense that the Lord gave us a friendship not locked to time and place but within our spirits. This Easter visit, I was reminded that we last hugged a year ago. A year passed since I saw my dear friend, and yet we converse like sisters.

To touch on all the life events that unite Megan and I would be a novel! Still when I left her home after our visit, I knew that I had to record the significance of the 'flour bucket'.

Meghan and I at during Xmas break
in 2003
Growing up, my family and I spent time around the house sitting, chatting, playing whatever age appropriate games we liked. I loved my childhood and I treasure how my mom made herself 100% available to be my friend. Her answer was almost always 'yes' to my hundreds of requests for themed parties and social gatherings. I glean from my up bringing that I have it in my blood (and by The Blood if you know what I'm sayin') to be my children's friend. I can relate and influence them as my mother did with us, as long as I'm open to trusting the Lord and confident in speaking the truth.

Considering the other homes I 'grew-up' in, I remember Meghan's. I remember sitting at her kitchen island and chatting with her parents or one of her 3 siblings. There was always lots to be said, laughed about and always motion. Her kitchen was inviting and well equipped for baking, yes they had a flour bucket. It was as if Meghan's mom planned to that her kitchen was a gathering and creating place. From what I've observed, almost every of their 4 children have baked something incredible that I've tasted. This was Meghan's mom's talent and her gift to her children. A gift that gathered... I loved it. I loved that this home of 4 children (all 2 years apart) worked together to make delicious memories, traditions and holidays. Oh the holidays! I almost always must ask what their culinary plans are for holiday meals, they're always detailed and sometimes hilarious.

Maybe 2 years ago

I don't remember the context of the conversation but it went like this...

L- 'Meghan, I love your family. I think of your family often when I consider how I'd have my own'

M- 'Oh yeah? That means so much to me.'

L- 'Truly, when I think of my aspirations for a family, I dream of having 4 kids and a flour bucket in my kitchen.'

M- 'Haha, that's awesome, can I tell my mom? She's sitting right here.'


2 weeks ago

Meghan and I during our Easter
visit this year, 2012
We were sitting in the Harner's living room, their entire house glowing from the 'staged to sell' decor touches. I sit down in an adorable newly reupholstered armchair with birds on the fabric and David is playing with Meghan's dad and their friendly yellow lab, Callie. We talk about the nearing arrival of Judah and Megan's mom says to me:

D (Donnie) - 'So have you gotten your flour bucket yet?' 

L- 'I haven't but I'm close! I've finally started baking more regularly'


We joked about how Megan's dad didn't hear us right and then the conversation moved on. Meghan's parents have their house on the market and their ready to move on to the next adventure of retirement in their home/project in North Carolina. I remember when we were in college Meghan made jokes about how her parents were 'training' at home doing sit-ups and push-ups to prepare for their vacation to Italy. That is just how Meghan's parents have always been! Fun and adventurous, including the whole family or taking time as a pair.

When I envision home and one being filled with children, I do dream of so much creativity, motion, and cooking that we simply must have a flour bucket. I dream of raising teenagers who get excited about home made cinnamon rolls but retain the grace and flexibility for macaroni and cheese with hot dogs. (Meghan's house was the first place I ever had this, brilliant). My mom demonstrates that raising a family requires more than dreaming, it's being intentional and available. I will intentionally pray the Lord gives me the grace to be a friend and a baker and a mother of 4.

Tripp, Me, Meghan, Donnie, Mckenzie, Scott
Note - Donnie made my wedding dress!!


2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Haha! That's great, I love the image of a flour bucket on the counter.

Lindsay said...

So beautiful! What a lovely family and example! So grateful for the friends with 'kindred spirits.'

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...