Young Love, a set on Flickr.
After clicking through my photo library yesterday, I nostalgically lingered on old photos of Tripp and I when we were dating. Praise the Lord we have wonderful memories of our time together before becoming 'The Grants.' Following the last photo of us graduating from Belmont University would be wedding photos.If you have a minute, here's how it began...
Tripp and I met in July of 2002 at freshman orientation, we were in the same orientation group. Our first date was in late August, just after getting settled into the dorms and college life. Tripp asked me to go to his sister's soccer game and on that date I met his mom, dad, two sisters, and granny. Granny's response to meeting was saying in a sweet old lady way, ' Tripp told me he met a nice girl.' Oh boy, Tripp was wearing his heart on his sleeve and I thought I was hot stuff.
You see, I had the idea that I was supposed to be with an impressive christian guy, specifically 'Raymond' (names changed to protect my dignity cuz the guy didn't care for me one bit). I made the mistake of telling Tripp on another date that I didn't think we should keep going out because I had my hopes set on Raymond. Tripp stayed near as a friend and even watched me go on 'dates' with a few other guys. (There was nothing romantic about these dates except that I was asked to go somewhere by a male).
Tripp didn't give up, he bought me a big bouquet of daisies and asked me to go on a date. I was a stinker and suggested a group date. He and a whole bunch of Belmont folks went.
Come April, I noticed a few signs that Tripp may be moving on from his devoted crush to myself. At the same time, he had vulnerably shared with me that his mom was in hospice. After much discussion with the gal pals and mom, I turned from my hot stuff ways and realized I may be passing up one of the best men I'd ever known. And hey, it wasn't like we were getting engaged!
Tripp was distributing 'Jump In The Bush Club' DVDs in my dorm and had stopped by my room to say hi. Not having the guts to reveal my feelings to him then, I chased him down on the front porch of my dorm. In the pouring rain, I brought him a friend's umbrella (supplied by a supportive gal pal) and told him that I liked him. He looked goofy and relieved and sweetly hugged me. I can't remember if I voiced this, but we call this our 'rain moment' (see Sweet Home Alabama).
And the rest is history.













0 comments:
Post a Comment