Notes on my new site

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Paris in Love

Our apartment has been overrun with contents from the storage area that are in transition while we do some work on the shelving. Since signing another year at 6511, I feel really excited to treat the storage room like it's mine. Today, Tripp and I have both felt down in the dumps as we glance around and maneuver between the piles of stuff and laundry. Yes, we made the mistake of tackling our 4 foot dirty laundry pile in the same weekend as the storage dilemma. 

All this to say, I've started an audio book while cleaning and it's inspiring a new idea. I love, love a memoir. Or really, I love, love a memoir about a woman and her life that is both lighthearted and rich. Two of my absolute favorites are written by Jeanette Walls, Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses. The stories are so wild (within my definition of wild yet wholesome) and tell the poignant transitions of their lives so well, I cannot forget the details.

I'm thinking my new idea may be to start a memoir of some sort. Maybe even one that I write my whole life. If I had something like that from my great aunt or grandmother, I think I'd treasure it and hang on to that bit of timeless identity for all the beauty that God poured through her. This blog temps me to seize my inner writer and note all of life in the Grant house. I'm thinking I'd like to find some kind of computer program that functions like a personal blog with stories and photos that could be printed out or something... TBD. Know of anything?

Ah! And the audio book I'm 'reading' is called Paris in Love. I was going to put a shout out to it on facebook and then came to find that the author is famous for her romance novels. I did NOT want to be linked to promoting any kind of romance novel reading, yuck. Still, this book is so lovely and fun - I feel like I'm washing dishes in my Parisian kitchen. 

2 comments:

Cosmic said...

Oh Laura, you should absolutely write a memoir! That would be wonderful. The Professor had an idea recently to ask his Grandparents to write out "their story" for us to give to the BabyGirl and Bright Eyes when they are older. His Grandma Jackie has so many amazing stories of faith, where God sustained her through horrible experiences. We love her dearly and want our girls to know her legacy as a woman of God. So one day when David or Judah name their daughter Laura, she'll need to know your story!

Hana said...

I agree! Write it! And I also love Glass Castle. I have been bummed that reading has just not been possible lately, maybe I need more audio in my life.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...